Washington DC, United States – Full-time
At Aire, our insight engine uses machine learning to make credit fairer for consumers, and more valuable to lenders.
We expanded operations to the US at the beginning of 2019, and are hiring an In-house Legal Counsel in Washington D.C., to establish the regulatory and compliance operating model upon which our U.S. success will be built.
Sitting within our Responsibility team and reporting to our London-based COO, Fred Becker (https://www.linkedin.com/in/frederickbecker/), this role will spearhead our U.S. operation. On a day-to-day basis you will also partner closely with the CEO & Founder, Aneesh Varma (https://www.linkedin.com/in/aneeshvarma/), Product Director and wider Product team.
This role is a truly unique opportunity for an experienced Legal Counsel to shape the future. As such, it requires a strong blend of deep regulatory & compliance knowledge, and proven start-up / scale-up experience.
- Regulatory & Compliance - research, write, set-up and evolve our regulatory and compliance related practices, processes and policies for our U.S. entity, collaborating very closely with the UK team
- Strategy - keep Aire abreast of rules, regulations and case law in the U.S., research and advise on the appropriate U.S. approach and global versus localized compliance strategies
- Product partnering - work closely with the Product team, to evolve product-market fit for the U.S. and help define use cases
- Commercial partnering - work closely with our CommercIal team to support discussions and engagements with prospective U.S. partners, enabling successful sales agreements
- Advocacy and evangelism - create industry impact by representing and evangelizing Aire at regulatory and compliance events
- An experienced and passionate In-house Legal Counsel with evidence of success in a technology driven start-up/scale-up
- Deep understanding of the consumer finance landscape in the U.S. (lender, credit card, bank, consultancy)
- Deep understanding of the Consumer Credit regulatory space in the U.S. (FCRA, ECOA, TILA, FDCPA)
- J.D. qualified with bar admission in at least one state, preferably NY, DC or CA
- Enthusiasm for creating something from grassroots
- Both highly collaborative and confident working independently, given your peers are London based
- Experience of managing outside counsel relationships
Medical, Dental and Vision insurance, 401k contribution, 28 days PTO, stock options and professional development to name but a few.