Washington DC, United States – Full-time
Aire’s credit insight engine makes credit fairer for consumers, and more valuable to lenders. We believe that context improves credit decisions. So when a customer isn’t catered for by a traditional credit bureau, we offer a second chance - inviting customers to tell us about themselves.
Aire partners with a range of lenders including Toyota Financial Services and N Brown Group to name just a few, as well as partnering with Experian in the UK and US.
People are at the heart of what Aire does. We’re motivated by social purpose and bringing change to people’s lives, driving greater financial inclusion. We’re also passionate and committed to creating a brilliant work environment and culture, where people will grow not just their careers, but as people too.
Aire expanded operations to the US at the beginning of 2019, this is our second permanent hire for our US team based in Washington, DC.
Regulatory and compliance - getting it right and being a trusted and credible brand and partner is at the heart of our business strategy. We’re looking for an In-house Counsel who has a deep understanding of the US consumer credit and retail finance landscape. We want to make sure we have the right posture in front of our partners to help us hit all our milestones and drive revenue in the US, which is a fresh market for us. It’s a unique opportunity to play a key role in helping a startup break into a new market.
The role will sit in our Responsibility Team and report into our COO based in London. However on a day-to-day basis you will partner with the VP Strategy & Partnerships in the US, who’ll you’ll work very closely with.
What you're going to do
- You will be wholly responsible for the research, writing, set-up and establishment of all of our regulatory and compliance related practices, processes and policies for our US entity, collaborating very closely with our UK team.
- Research and advise on approach and strategy relating to global vs localized compliance.
- Work closely with our VP Partnerships and Strategy, as our Regulatory and Compliance expert, in helping support discussions and engagements with prospective partners, enabling successful sales agreements.
- Keep Aire up-to-speed with the rules, regulations, and case law in the US and communicate it clearly to the Executive and Product Teams how it impacts our business.
- Manage outside counsel relationships where necessary.
- Represent and evangelize Aire at Regulatory and Compliance events, raising Aire’s profile across industry.
- Help establish and grow our team, values and culture in the US. You will be our second full-time hire so may also have to help out with helping build the team and operations in the US, when, or where needed.
What we’re looking for from you
- You have worked in the role of In-house, or General Counsel in consumer finance (lender, credit card, bank, consultancy) for example.
- You have worked in both a corporate environment, as well as a technology driven startup / scaleup.
- You have a deep understanding of the Consumer Credit regulatory space in the US (FCRA, ECOA, TILA, FDCPA).
- You are a Juris Doctor and possess admission to the bar in at least one state, preferably NY, DC or CA.
- You enjoy and embrace the opportunity to take something from grassroots and build it.
- You are happy and able to work relatively independently (your peers are based in London).
What’s on offer
We offer a flexible working environment.
Opportunities to grow
We believe in nurturing our talent and dedicate time to help you have meaningful on the job experiences through action, interaction, and relationships.
Openness and honesty
There are no hidden agendas. We are transparent and honest about what’s going on. We try to ensure everyone is well informed and understands what we think about important topics.
Work life balance
One of the most special events in an individual’s life is the birth or adoption of a child. Aire gives paid time off for mum and dad to cherish and take care of themselves and their child. We also offer generous paid leave for other activities, including volunteering.
Medical, Dental and Vision insurance, 401k contribution, 28 days PTO, stock options and professional development to name but a few.
Our values and ethos at Aire, make us very proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will help us push forward on new research and ability to build products to serve our market. Aire was setup to pursue a mission, and we welcome all those who support it so.